As a manager, you are responsible for sourcing the best people for your team. How can you move through the recruiting maze to locate them. Finding great talent takes planning and time and you want to insure you hire the right people.
I found this great video “Recruitment and Selection Strategies – 5 Hot Tips” which simply puts together the 5 areas you need to put your attention to when recruiting and retaining the best talent:
- Make sure you have at least 3 candidates to choose from when filling your open position. If one decent candidate surfaces and you want to move forward quickly, you may select that person and hire them. It could work out fine, though you may not have hired the best person to support the growth of your company.
- It’s tempting to hire people who are similar to you. The similarity feels comfortable, though you may not have enough diverse thinking to create the best product or company. Diversity helps create contrary thinking, which stimulates ideas and innovation. Review how diverse your talent pool is and see if you can find people who bring different thinking to the team.
- Have you created a recruitment policy? This policy provides the structure for all of your recruiting efforts.
- Develop a recruitment map — first hires in and important hires going forward. This way you can be prepared when your company grows and you need new talent.
- Social media – is a great place to find passive talent.
The video is short and it provides you with tools to find the talent you need to create a great product and build your company.
**********More on “RECRUITING TALENT“**********
Check out this book on “Recruiting the Best Talent” that guides you through the recruiting process.